I wouldn’t say that I quit Facebook but I have decided to take a break from it. This process involves deactivating Facebook completely and hoping never to log back in again although the possibility is always there. It’s been 3 weeks. I haven’t logged in yet.
Why did I do it?
- I realised I signed up in college which was 8-9 years ago!
- I’ve been relying on it to get me through the day constantly so I can see what people are doing, post my adventures, check birthdays etc etc etc. I wanted to see if I could revisit everything again.
- I wasn’t getting out and doing much. I felt like I knew everything so a conversation was never really a topic for me. Now it feels different. I’m actually spending more time asking about how everyone is.
- I was getting bummed out because I was balancing study, home and life and would rather watch something on youtube than see all the cool things happening in the world.
- I needed to see what it was like!
I’ll revisit it again in the future but there’s definitely a feeling of emancipation having more free time during the day to think, imagine, be creative and meditate. It’s allowed me to feel free and that’s been really good for me as I can reflect on it when I speak to others and try to reengage with everyone as though I don’t know what’s going on in their lives. I’m liking it.